Visit
2919
Last Updated: 2012/01/19
Summary of question
I found some property, and left my number there and also wrote to the address that was with the property but got no response. Can I use this property for myself?
question
Concise answer

The Office of the Grand Ayatullah Khamenei (may Allah prolong his life):

In the case inquired, if you have no hope in finding the owner, and the value of the property is more than 12.6 chickpeas of coined silver, it is an obligatory precaution to give the value of the property in charity on behalf of the owner before using it.

The Office of the Grand Ayatullah Sistani (may Allah prolong his life):

You will have to announce the property has been found for a year.

The Office of the Grand Ayatullah Makarem Shirazi (may Allah prolong his life):

You have to try to find the owner for a year, in the process, if you ever lose hope in finding him/her, you can give the property to a poor person in charity on behalf of the owner.

The Office of the Grand Ayatullah Safi Golpaygani (may Allah prolong his life):

Please refer to issue number 2573 of my risalah for the answer.

The Office of Ayatullah Mahdi Hadavi Tehrani (may Allah prolong his life):

1- It is makruh to pick up any property that is on the ground.

2- If one finds some property and picks it up, he has to announce this for a year until the owner is found. After this period, he can own the property for himself, although if the owner shows up and asks for it, the finder will be liable. Of course, it is better to give that property in charity on behalf of the owner after the one year, and if the owner shows up after a year and doesn’t give consent to the charity, the finder must pay him the value of the property and the charity will count as the finder’s.

3- If after finding property and announcing for a while, one becomes hopeless in finding the owner, he can act according to the ruling mentioned above, even if the one year hasn’t passed.

Detailed Answer
This question does not have a detailed answer.
Question translations in other languages
Comments
Please enter the value
Example : Yourname@YourDomane.ext
Please enter the value

Thematic Category

Random questions

• What is the meaning of mutawatir and ma'roof traditions?
    4876 Contextual study 2014/10/01
    For information about the meaning of mutawatir traditions and its various types, see index "the criterion for verbal, spiritual and ambiguous mutawatir traditions", question 2412. Ma'ruf Hadith Different definitions have been presented for Ma'ruf tradition: 1. A ma'ruf tradition is one whose text and it is content ...
  • Do the ahadith explain who the Sofyani, Yamaani, Khorasani, Shu’ayb Ibn Saleh, and Zarghawi exactly are?
    7568 Traditional 2010/04/20
    This question doesn’t have a brief answer. Please click on the detailed answer. ...
  • Is it permissible to bury Muslims in kafir cemeteries?
    3812 Laws and Jurisprudence 2008/12/31
    According to Islamic law, it is forbidden to both bury Muslims in kafir cemeteries and kafirs in Muslim ones, and if such a thing ever takes place, it is permissible to exhume the corpse and transfer it to the appropriate graveyard.
  • Is it haraam (impermissible) to celebrate birthdays within Islam?
    7933 Laws and Jurisprudence 2012/01/12
    Celebrating birthdays is not a part of the Islamic traditions; it is a matter about which the Shari`ah is silent. The Islamic doctrines have not persuaded or recommended us to celebrate our birthdays. However, we do not want to condemn this new tradition, even though we do not accept ...
  • What is teyyul-ard?
    3130 Theoretical 2010/07/20
    There are different views on the true essence of teyyul-ard. One would be the theory of “اعدام و ایجاد” or “Existentiation and Elimination” of the renowned mystic, Ibn Arabi. According to this theory, the person eliminates his existence in one place and existentiates it in ...
  • If father relegates the custody of children to the mother in a court, is it necessary for a virgin to obtain her father\'s permission?
    2131 Laws and Jurisprudence 2015/01/05
    Office of Grand Ayatollah Khamenei (may Allah grant him long life): As a measure of obligatory precaution, father's permission is necessary in a marriage with a virgin girl. Without his permission, the marriage contract is not valid even in the given case as an obligatory precaution. Office ...
  • What is the ruling on dog leather?
    2731 Laws and Jurisprudence 2011/12/20
    Dogs and pigs, and all of their body parts are najis. Therefore, their leather is also najis.The grand maraje’ state: Dogs and pigs that live on land are najis, including their hair, bones, paws, nails, and any wetness they excrete.[1]For further information on the ...
  • What is zina muhsanah?
    3577 Laws and Jurisprudence 2012/04/14
    Zina denotes copulation with other than one’s legal spouse (permanent or temporary), which the Quran labels as a grave sin, about which Allah has said: “Do not approach fornication. It is indeed obscene and an evil way.”[1],[2] If this ...
  • Is the network marketing of Tahitian Noni juice permissible?
    4427 Laws and Jurisprudence 2009/03/09
    If your question is about the ruling on marketing this drink as a result of it being halal or haram itself, this is the answer the maraje’ have given to your inquiry:The office of the Grand Ayatullah Khamenei:It is permissible per se.The office of the Grand Ayatullah ...
  • What is the ruling on using henna in the state of jinabat and heyd? Does nail polish cause any problem for wudu?
    4459 Laws and Jurisprudence 2010/07/20

Popular