Advanced search
Visit
2976
Last Updated: 2010/09/03
Summary of question
Is it necessary to take part in all the secular school programs?
question
I have just begun another part of (secular) school curriculum dealing with managing and handling the daily activities of all the students. They include canoeing (Kayaking), water sports and other bizarre sports. As a modest Muslim woman, I do not approve of this kind of programs especially in the last ten days of Ramadhan. These programs are compulsory and according to the school, it is necessary to form a team to take part in the sports program as a result of which you will have to get acquainted with every one. The same is true with the regular classes where you get familiar with different people. It should be noted that I am not personally interested in these activities but since they have been made compulsory, I wonder what I should do and what I should tell them. Please, help me.
Concise answer

Office of Grand Ayatollah Sistani (may Allah grant him long life):

Taking part in such activities is a matter of precaution. [That is, you should exercise precaution by not taking part in those programs.]

Office of Grand Ayatollah Makarem Shirazi (may Allah grant him long life):

In the said case, there would be no problem in taking part in those programs, if you adhere to religious standards and observe Islam dress code.

Detailed Answer
This question does not have a detailed answer.
Question translations in other languages
Comments
Please enter the value
Example : Yourname@YourDomane.ext
Please enter the value
Please enter the value

Thematic Category

Random questions

• What is the Islamic law about hanging pictures of human and animate beings inside a mosque?
    5081 Laws and Jurisprudence 2011/04/06
    To reach the answer to your question, it is necessary to take notice of the following points: 1 – The jurists have said: Offering prayers is makrooh (abominable) at certain places including "facing the picture or statue of living creatures, unless ...
  • Why do the Shia consider temporary marriage (sighah/mut’ah) permissible?
    8121 Laws and Jurisprudence 2008/07/02
    First of all, we must say that this issue is a fiqhi one, calling for fiqh experts to analyze it in the right place. Here we will mention some points regarding the issue and leave the rest to the detailed answer that is to come.1) Temporary marriage ...
  • Can I offer prayers during my period when the signs of haydh aren’t seen?
    11477 Laws and Jurisprudence 2008/05/12
    Paying attention to the upcoming points might help you reach the answer you are looking for:The six types of women in haydh:Mubtadi’ah: A woman who sees blood for the first time in her life.[1]Muztaribah: A woman who has seen blood for a ...
  • What is the Islamic law regarding a song sung by a woman with music instruments? What is ghinā?
    3752 کلیات 2013/02/02
    Office of Grand Ayatollah Khamenei (may Allah grant him long life): 1. If the singing is ruled as ghinā, it is ḥarām and the content makes no difference. Similarly, if one listens to her voice with the intention of seeking pleasure or if it entails evil or ...
  • Why did God order the construction of the Ka'bah?
    3250 Philosophy of Religion and Law 2011/07/20
    Based on Quranic verses, traditions and historical documents, Ka'bah and Mecca are symbols of divine blessings, human guidance and a place of congregation for servitude to God who bestowed profuse blessing and good upon this place which used to be dry and infertile before it. By showing the reality ...
  • What is the philosophy behind ziarah of Imams?
    4919 زیارت قبور و بنای مراقد 2012/12/01
    The inward tendency and attraction toward someone or something, along with respect and honor, is called ziarah. Since the reality of a human is his soul which is never annihilated, a za'er [pilgrim] who makes ziarah of a demised dignitary has in fact made ziarah of a ...
  • Is it possible for Imam Zaman to ever commit a sin, no matter how small?
    2884 Traditional 2011/04/20
    According to the Ahlul-Bayt’s school of thought, Imam Zaman holds the high rank of infallibility (‘ismah) and is an infallible (ma’sum). The ma’sum is one who through Allah's (swt) grace is free from all impurity, sin, forgetfulness and error.For further information, ...
  • What is the Islamic law about overpowering jinn, spirits and devils?
    7135 Laws and Jurisprudence 2012/03/11
    Getting help from the spirits, jinns and devils and scientific and practical communication with them are said to be magic in the etymological and jurisprudential technical terms.[i] According to Quranic, jurisprudential and traditional evidence, sorcery or magic is not in the interest of a ...
  • Why is the dog a najis animal in Islam?
    12221 Philosophy of Religion and Law 2012/01/19
    One of the fundamental teachings of Islam is that all legal rulings are based on the real benefits and harms behind them. If there were no benefits or harms, there would be no commands nor prohibitions, and no ruling regarding the najasah and taharah of things in religion.
  • What would have happened if the Caliphate had fallen into the hands of Imam Ali (as)?
    3572 Traditional 2011/05/18
    Certainly, Imam Ali’s (as) greatest concern would have been to continue the way of the Holy Prophet (saw) and guard the path of hidayah (guidance) and true Islam, so that mankind could reach sa’adah (salvation) both in this world and the next. The Holy Prophet ...

Popular

Links