If I start Ramadhan in one city and then I travel and finish the month of Ramadhan in another city, what is my duty especially in regards to Laylat al-Qadr or Eidul Fitr? - Questions Archive - IslamQuest is a reference for Islamic questions on the internet
Advanced search
Visit
2430
Last Updated: 2013/05/15
Summary of question
If I start Ramadhan in one city and then I travel and finish the month of Ramadhan in another city, what is my duty especially in regards to Laylat al-Qadr or Eidul Fitr?
question
If I start Ramadhan in one city and then I travel and finish the month of Ramadhan in another city, what is my duty especially in regards to Laylat al-Qadr or Eidul Fitr? That is because in one city they started fasting on Monday and in another city they started Ramadhan on Tuesday. What should I do? Do I continue what I started or do I follow what the local city is doing?
Concise answer
You must act according to the horizon of the place where you are currently in. Hence, the Night of Qadr and also Eidul Fitr are determined on the same place.
Some grand religious authorities’ answers to this question are as under:[1]
Grand Ayatollah Khamenei (may Allah grant him long life):
You must act according to the horizon of the place where you are currently in.
Grand Ayatollah Makarem Shirazi (may Allah grant him long life):
Wherever you are, you should act according to the horizon of the same place. You must note that ‘night’ means that the shadow of part of the earth falls on the other part. Therefore, if the Night of Qadr starts in Mecca, the Night of Qadr continues until the shadow takes over all parts of planet earth. In fact, the Night of Qadr lasts for 24 hours. There is no more than one night throughout the planet.   
Grand Ayatollah Saafi Gulpaigani (may Allah grant him long life):
The Night of Qadr (Laylatul Qadr) is determined depending on when and which day you ascertained the beginning of the month of Ramadhan. The day of Eidul Fitr would then be determined. If the crescent is sighted on the night preceding the 30th day of the month, the following day would be the Eid day; otherwise Eid would be upon completion of 30 days.

[1] The question has been sent by IslamQuest website to the offices of the grand Ayatollah Khamenei, Ayatollah Saafi Gulpaigani and Ayatollah Makarem Shirazi – may Allah grant them long life.
Question translations in other languages
Comments
Please enter the value
Example : Yourname@YourDomane.ext
Please enter the value
Please enter the value

Thematic Category

Random questions

• What are the effects of casting lustful look at immodest women and girls and how is one's life affected by it?
    4465 Practical 2011/07/28
    Generally speaking, your detesting and despising of the girls' wearing immodest dress are very good and praiseworthy. Every mature and sane individual is answerable to his own deeds because he has been created free. The girls' wearing immodest dress does not become a license for people to look at them ...
  • Is it okay to say "Ali is the inheritor"?
    3078 Traditional 2011/02/15
    An heir is someone who inherits, or is designated to inherit, the property or position of another without an external cause like purchase and sale, dedication etc. rather by descent and right of relationship.
  • What are the Wahabi beliefs and their criticisms against Shia?
    9613 Traditional 2011/09/11
    Wahabis are the followers of Muhammad bin Abdul Wahhab who was the follower of the school of Ibn Taymiyah. His student, Ibn Qayyim, established and introduced new beliefs in the Arabian Peninsula. Wahabism is one of the newly-invented Islamic sects with followers in Saudi Arabia and some other countries ...
  • Can you introduce some books on marriage in Islam?
    3605 Theoretical 2010/01/21
    Dear sister, there are many books on this subject but unfortunately, only a few have been translated to English. There is one book that we recommend that has been translated as well with the title of “نظام خانواده در اسلام” (The Islamic Family Structure) by Hosein Ansarian. This ...
  • Is stem-cell research haram?
    3722 Laws and Jurisprudence 2009/11/25
    Since we are looking for the fiqhi ruling on this issue, we asked the question from the offices of the grand Ayatullahs (may Allah protect them) and also from Ayatullah Hadavi Tehrani, the following are the responses we received:The office of ...
  • Is it permissible to open and close tap several times during Wudhu so as not to waste water?
    2725 Laws and Jurisprudence 2012/09/22
    Office of Grand Ayatollah Khamenei (may Allah grant him long life): There is no problem in it. Generally speaking, there is no objection in opening and closing tap before washing the left hand completely. However, if one touches a wet thing (such as a wet ...
  • Is it permissible to contract a temporary marriage with a Sunni girl without her father’s consent?
    2953 Laws and Jurisprudence 2009/09/23
    This question doesn’t have a brief answer. Please click on the detailed answer. ...
  • Is Lordship confined to God Almighty?
    4751 پروردگار. نامها و ویژگی ها 2012/05/21
    “ربوبیت(Lordship)” is derived from the word “رب (lord)”and is used in the Arabic language for the words owner, possessor and trainer. Given the fact that God is the owner of all existence, the management of this realm will be His responsibility. So, he is the “
  • Why is it not permissible to do taqlid to a deceased Mujtahid?
    3226 Philosophy of Religion and Law 2006/11/26
                Scholars of jurisprudence which say that it is not permissible to do taqlid to a deceased Mujtahid, have a basis for this reasoning and in order to understand it we must refer to ...
  • If every wish is supposed to be granted through dua, then what is our own role in our lives?
    4166 Theoretical 2011/10/23
    The religion of Islam is a religion that combines between the exterior and the interior, the material and spiritual aspects. God is the creator of the wind and cloud, and rainfall depends on the rules which He has embedded in the nature, yet God says that the cause of ...

Popular

Links