Advanced search
Visit
1681
Last Updated: 2011/05/08
Summary of question
One who has repeatedly repented and broken his repentance and now doubts frequently about Allah and the imams, has Allah forsaken such a person? What is the way to gain proximity to Allah?
question
I fell in love with a boy at the age of 16 but wasn’t aware of his intentions and unintentionally and out of forgetfulness of Allah and because of my affection for him, committed a great sin with him, but after a while, he got married and left me with my problems. From that day forward, I took refuge in Allah and my faith in Him grew day by day, but I would sometimes remember the sin I had committed and would masturbate, but my fear of Allah would cause me to repent. I have violated my repentance many times. Recently, I have faced a certain problem; whenever I am busy in worship, Shaytan comes to me and causes me to doubt in everything (God’s existence, the Quran’s truthfulness, the imams) although I know such doubts are false. Can it be that Allah has forsaken me? I love Allah.
Concise answer

Sin and disobedience brings about one’s destruction, while repentance and a resolution to refrain from sin is movement towards salvation. Shaytan is man's enemy and all of his efforts go into creating temptations and suggestions in human beings, and creating a distance between them and God, who is most merciful and kind. He attempts to create this distance by pushing them to drown in a sea of sins and crimes against God, which causes their separation. This is while God loves all of his servants, including those who are sinners and oppressors; in addition, he wishes that they reach felicity and happiness. Also, since in private you feel ashamed and embarrassed in front of God from your sins, this shows that you have a pure nature and that God has favored you with his grace. Since you are after a way for making up for your sins and past mistakes, this is an indication that God has entered these thoughts into your mind, so that you will, through these means, save yourself (with the aid of God) from these evils and sicknesses. Therefore, keep in mind this great blessing of God, and before losing the opportunity, purify yourself of these sins and the consequences of these sins by truly repenting to God. Know that God is your helper and friend in this matter and is always with you; in addition, he will never leave you alone.

Detailed Answer

Sins are much akin to a dirty swamp; the more an individual immerses themselves in it, the more polluted they become and the closer they get to destruction and annihilation. On the other hand, repentance and making a serious decision to abstain from sins is itself salvation and a great victory, which opens the doors to the mercy of God. An individual who reaches this stage (of repentance) has gained a great victory and he must do his utmost to strengthen further his intentions and inclinations towards fighting against sins. In addition, he must attempt to keep himself in this state perpetually.

One point of dire importance, is the special favor and grace which God bestows upon someone who repents; repentance destroys and effaces all of the sins and negative consequences of sins before God. God has mentioned in the Holy Quran that: (قُلْ یَـٰعِبَادِىَ ٱلَّذِینَ أَسْرَفُوا۟ عَلَىٰٓ أَنفُسِهِمْ لَا تَقْنَطُوا۟ مِن رَّحْمَةِ ٱللَّهِ إِنَّ ٱللَّهَ یَغْفِرُ ٱلذُّنُوبَ جَمِیعًا إِنَّهُۥ هُوَ ٱلْغَفُورُ ٱلرَّحِیمُ), which means ‘Say: "O my Servants who have transgressed against their souls! Despair not of the Mercy of Allah: for Allah forgives all sins: for He is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful. [1]   [2]

Know that the doubts coming into your heart are, without a doubt, from Shaytan who is seriously after separating you from the all-kind Allah. In order to be able to stand up to his suggestions, you need to remember that he is an evil being who is man’s enemy and has sworn to misguide and deviate Allah’s servants. [3] All of his efforts go into creating temptations and suggestions in human beings, and creating a distance between them and God, who is most merciful and kind. He attempts to create this distance by pushing them to drown in a sea of sins and crimes against God, which causes their separation. This is while God loves all of his servants, including those who are sinners and oppressors; in addition, he wishes that they reach felicity and happiness. At the same time he is averse to their unworthy actions, and it is for this very reason that he has sent his most favored servants, who are the Prophets (a), to guide and assist the people of this earth. He has also kept Imam Mahdi (a) alive and hidden throughout all these years for this very purpose, in order that he may guide the select amongst humanity. No one is therefore allowed to become hopeless of the mercy of God, as He Himself says: “O my Servants who have transgressed against their souls! Despair not of the Mercy of Allah: for Allah forgives all sins: for He is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful” [4] . [5] This is because despairing of God’s mercy is considered thinking badly of God and this is counted as one of the greatest of sins.

Therefore, since in private you feel ashamed and embarrassed in front of God from your sins, this shows that you have a pure nature and that God has favored you with his grace. Since you are after a way for making up for your sins and past mistakes, this is an indication that God has entered these thoughts into your mind, so that you will, through these means, save yourself (with the aid of God) from these evils and sicknesses. Therefore, keep in mind this great blessing of God, and before losing the opportunity, purify yourself of these sins and the consequences of these sins by truly repenting to God. Know that God is your helper and friend in this matter and is always with you; in addition, he will never leave you alone.

Having hope in Allah’s mercy and regretting past sins and eventually, true and sincere repentance are an important step towards being loved by Allah and is a smooth road towards guidance and salvation, something that worries Shaytan.

For further information, see:

1- Ways of being purified of sin, Question 11511 (website: 11345).

2- The intensification of punishment for insisting on sin, Question 1612 (website: 1613).

3- Forgiveness of Great Sins, Question 11512 (website: 11351).

4- How long to refrain from sin for immunity, Question 1018 (website: 1076).

5- Ways of gaining God’s affection, Question 5578 (website: 5856).

6- Repentance from Masturbation, Question 2144 (website: 2268).

[1] Zumar:53

[2] Adopted from Question 3192 (website: 3444), Repentance from Sin.

[3] Saad:82 “قالَ فَبِعِزَّتِکَ لَأُغْوِیَنَّهُمْ أَجْمَعینَ”.

[4] Zumar:53 “قُلْ یا عِبادِیَ الَّذینَ أَسْرَفُوا عَلى‏ أَنْفُسِهِمْ لا تَقْنَطُوا مِنْ رَحْمَةِ اللَّهِ إِنَّ اللَّهَ یَغْفِرُ الذُّنُوبَ جَمیعاً إِنَّهُ هُوَ الْغَفُورُ الرَّحیمُ”.

[5] Adopted from Question 2144 (website: 2268), Repentance from Masturbation.

Question translations in other languages
Comments
Please enter the value
Example : Yourname@YourDomane.ext
Please enter the value
Please enter the value

Categorization by subject

Random questions

• Do Christians acknowledge Prophet Khidhr?
    1519 تاريخ بزرگان 2009/11/25
    There is no mention of Khidhr in the Bible, and it is unlikely to find mention of his name or anything related to him in any other books of Christianity. Of course, you should also know that in the holy Quran the specific name of “Khidhr” is not mentioned. The ...
  • What are the punishments for shaking hands with a non-Mahram, physical contact and not observing Islamic modest dress?
    1987 Laws and Jurisprudence 2011/11/21
    Different punishments and penalties have been reported, in our religious sources, for the sins mentioned in the question. We will suffice to quoting a few traditions in this regard:A) Shaking hands with a non-mahram:1. The Holy Prophet (s) said: "Any man who shakes hands with a non-Mahram woman comes on ...
  • Is making contact with beings from other worlds possible?
    2101 Traditional 2010/04/08
    There is no doubt that it is possible to make contact with beings from other realms. What is also certain is that using narcotic drugs and alcoholic beverages to do so is impermissible.The ways and instruments through which we can become aware of these hidden beings and the ways of ...
  • When are nafilahs to be performed?
    1521 Laws and Jurisprudence 2009/08/16
    Performing nafilahs prepares one for performing the wajib prayers and brings a tendency and desire for performing Islamic obligatory acts and wajib prayers.The most important outcome of praying nafilahs is what the famous hadith of Qubul-Nawafil discloses to us. The narrator of this hadith reports the imam narrating from the ...
  • Is becoming forgetful a type of spiritual disease? What kind of solutions can attenuate it?
    561 دستور العمل ها 2014/06/01
    As it is mentioned in the following Dua (prayer), undoubtedly forgetfulness is an undesirable state in which we should seek refuge with Allah from. «اللَّهُمَّ إِنِّی أَعُوذُ بِکَ مِنَ‏ النِّسْیَانِ‏ وَ الْکَسَلِ وَ التَّوَانِی فِی طَاعَتِکَ وَ الْفَشَل‏ وَ مِنْ عِقَابِکَ الْأَدْنَى وَ عَذَابِکَ الْأَکْبَر»[1] O Allah! I seek refuge with you ...
  • Can one work for an employer whom he knows doesn’t carry out his religious duties?
    1250 Laws and Jurisprudence 2010/09/20
    Since you were after the fiqhi ruling on the issue you asked about, we saw it necessary to enquire Ayatullah Mahdi Hadavi Tehrani; this is his answer:1- If what is being done in the job is halal and the one doing it has no certitude as to whether the pay ...
  • Do the Shia consider Abu Bakr and Umar as Kafirs?
    3813 The infallibles 2010/09/23
    First of all, although the Shia has some criticism towards the khalifahs, they don’t see them as kafirs; the same way they don’t consider any of the other Sahabah as kafirs. In dealing with the khalifahs, the Shia follow the footsteps of the imams, especially Imam Ali (as), in how ...
  • Does Imam Mahdi, the Imam of Time (a.s.), know when he is going to reappear?
    1516 Traditional 2010/10/18
    This question doesn’t have a brief answer. Please click on the detailed answer. ...
  • Is Dua Kumayl authentic?
    2164 History 2012/09/27
    Kumayl Ibn Ziyad Nakha’i was a confidant amongst the companions of Imam Ali Ibn Abi Talib (as) and his son Imam Hasan Mujtaba and this sublime Du'a was first heard from the beautiful, though anguished, voice of Imam Ali (as). This dua has been narrated in Mesbah al-Mutahajjid[1] of Shaykh ...
  • What is the limit which a suitor should take into account in regards to looking at a woman’s body without any covering?
    1860 Laws and Jurisprudence 2012/08/13
    It is permissible for a man to look at a woman whom he intends to marry provided that: 1- it is not with the intention of pleasure, 2 – it is to find out about her beauty or her defects, 3 – there should not be any barrier or hurdle ...

Popular

Links