Advanced search
Visit
1766
Last Updated: 2011/05/08
Summary of question
One who has repeatedly repented and broken his repentance and now doubts frequently about Allah and the imams, has Allah forsaken such a person? What is the way to gain proximity to Allah?
question
I fell in love with a boy at the age of 16 but wasn’t aware of his intentions and unintentionally and out of forgetfulness of Allah and because of my affection for him, committed a great sin with him, but after a while, he got married and left me with my problems. From that day forward, I took refuge in Allah and my faith in Him grew day by day, but I would sometimes remember the sin I had committed and would masturbate, but my fear of Allah would cause me to repent. I have violated my repentance many times. Recently, I have faced a certain problem; whenever I am busy in worship, Shaytan comes to me and causes me to doubt in everything (God’s existence, the Quran’s truthfulness, the imams) although I know such doubts are false. Can it be that Allah has forsaken me? I love Allah.
Concise answer

Sin and disobedience brings about one’s destruction, while repentance and a resolution to refrain from sin is movement towards salvation. Shaytan is man's enemy and all of his efforts go into creating temptations and suggestions in human beings, and creating a distance between them and God, who is most merciful and kind. He attempts to create this distance by pushing them to drown in a sea of sins and crimes against God, which causes their separation. This is while God loves all of his servants, including those who are sinners and oppressors; in addition, he wishes that they reach felicity and happiness. Also, since in private you feel ashamed and embarrassed in front of God from your sins, this shows that you have a pure nature and that God has favored you with his grace. Since you are after a way for making up for your sins and past mistakes, this is an indication that God has entered these thoughts into your mind, so that you will, through these means, save yourself (with the aid of God) from these evils and sicknesses. Therefore, keep in mind this great blessing of God, and before losing the opportunity, purify yourself of these sins and the consequences of these sins by truly repenting to God. Know that God is your helper and friend in this matter and is always with you; in addition, he will never leave you alone.

Detailed Answer

Sins are much akin to a dirty swamp; the more an individual immerses themselves in it, the more polluted they become and the closer they get to destruction and annihilation. On the other hand, repentance and making a serious decision to abstain from sins is itself salvation and a great victory, which opens the doors to the mercy of God. An individual who reaches this stage (of repentance) has gained a great victory and he must do his utmost to strengthen further his intentions and inclinations towards fighting against sins. In addition, he must attempt to keep himself in this state perpetually.

One point of dire importance, is the special favor and grace which God bestows upon someone who repents; repentance destroys and effaces all of the sins and negative consequences of sins before God. God has mentioned in the Holy Quran that: (قُلْ یَـٰعِبَادِىَ ٱلَّذِینَ أَسْرَفُوا۟ عَلَىٰٓ أَنفُسِهِمْ لَا تَقْنَطُوا۟ مِن رَّحْمَةِ ٱللَّهِ إِنَّ ٱللَّهَ یَغْفِرُ ٱلذُّنُوبَ جَمِیعًا إِنَّهُۥ هُوَ ٱلْغَفُورُ ٱلرَّحِیمُ), which means ‘Say: "O my Servants who have transgressed against their souls! Despair not of the Mercy of Allah: for Allah forgives all sins: for He is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful. [1]   [2]

Know that the doubts coming into your heart are, without a doubt, from Shaytan who is seriously after separating you from the all-kind Allah. In order to be able to stand up to his suggestions, you need to remember that he is an evil being who is man’s enemy and has sworn to misguide and deviate Allah’s servants. [3] All of his efforts go into creating temptations and suggestions in human beings, and creating a distance between them and God, who is most merciful and kind. He attempts to create this distance by pushing them to drown in a sea of sins and crimes against God, which causes their separation. This is while God loves all of his servants, including those who are sinners and oppressors; in addition, he wishes that they reach felicity and happiness. At the same time he is averse to their unworthy actions, and it is for this very reason that he has sent his most favored servants, who are the Prophets (a), to guide and assist the people of this earth. He has also kept Imam Mahdi (a) alive and hidden throughout all these years for this very purpose, in order that he may guide the select amongst humanity. No one is therefore allowed to become hopeless of the mercy of God, as He Himself says: “O my Servants who have transgressed against their souls! Despair not of the Mercy of Allah: for Allah forgives all sins: for He is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful” [4] . [5] This is because despairing of God’s mercy is considered thinking badly of God and this is counted as one of the greatest of sins.

Therefore, since in private you feel ashamed and embarrassed in front of God from your sins, this shows that you have a pure nature and that God has favored you with his grace. Since you are after a way for making up for your sins and past mistakes, this is an indication that God has entered these thoughts into your mind, so that you will, through these means, save yourself (with the aid of God) from these evils and sicknesses. Therefore, keep in mind this great blessing of God, and before losing the opportunity, purify yourself of these sins and the consequences of these sins by truly repenting to God. Know that God is your helper and friend in this matter and is always with you; in addition, he will never leave you alone.

Having hope in Allah’s mercy and regretting past sins and eventually, true and sincere repentance are an important step towards being loved by Allah and is a smooth road towards guidance and salvation, something that worries Shaytan.

For further information, see:

1- Ways of being purified of sin, Question 11511 (website: 11345).

2- The intensification of punishment for insisting on sin, Question 1612 (website: 1613).

3- Forgiveness of Great Sins, Question 11512 (website: 11351).

4- How long to refrain from sin for immunity, Question 1018 (website: 1076).

5- Ways of gaining God’s affection, Question 5578 (website: 5856).

6- Repentance from Masturbation, Question 2144 (website: 2268).

[1] Zumar:53

[2] Adopted from Question 3192 (website: 3444), Repentance from Sin.

[3] Saad:82 “قالَ فَبِعِزَّتِکَ لَأُغْوِیَنَّهُمْ أَجْمَعینَ”.

[4] Zumar:53 “قُلْ یا عِبادِیَ الَّذینَ أَسْرَفُوا عَلى‏ أَنْفُسِهِمْ لا تَقْنَطُوا مِنْ رَحْمَةِ اللَّهِ إِنَّ اللَّهَ یَغْفِرُ الذُّنُوبَ جَمیعاً إِنَّهُ هُوَ الْغَفُورُ الرَّحیمُ”.

[5] Adopted from Question 2144 (website: 2268), Repentance from Masturbation.

Question translations in other languages
Comments
Please enter the value
Example : Yourname@YourDomane.ext
Please enter the value
Please enter the value

Categorization by subject

Random questions

• Will God abandon me or love me less if I am bad?
    1324 Practical 2011/09/11
    Although Shaitan is man's sworn enemy and it is making its utmost efforts to lead man towards sins and evil actions and to create a gap between him and God, God loves His servants even the sinners and He wants them to be guided and prosperous. Therefore, no sinner under ...
  • Please explain what a human Shaytan is.
    2571 Traditional 2011/04/20
    “Shaytan” is a general term that refers to any deviating, misguiding and disobedient creature, whether it is human or not. In the Quran, this term has not been used for a specific creature, in fact it has even been used for humans that are deviating and wrongdoing.Therefore, what is meant ...
  • What are the names of Shia's most important Hadith collections (sources)?
    2557 Contextual study 2011/12/03
    The Shia school is very rich in terms of reliable hadith collections thanks to the ahadith of the Holy Prophet (s) and his pure progeny. The infallible Imams, peace be upon them, are the closest people to the Holy Prophet (s) in terms of position and time. They are inerrant ...
  • Can one turn back from repentance?
    1347 Practical 2010/11/21
    This question doesn’t have a brief answer. Please click on the detailed answer. ...
  • Is the Imam of Time (atf) living in Bermuda Triangle?
    2634 تاريخ کلام 2011/01/10
    The reason why some people have considered Bermuda Triangle as the residence of the Imam of Time (atf) is that they believe that Bermuda Triangle is the very Khazra Island. With this presumption that Khazra Island is the residence of the Imam of Time, they have said that Bermuda Triangle ...
  • What is meant when it is said that Awliya’ullah have the knowledge of the past, present and the future?
    2475 Traditional 2011/06/21
    The knowledge we possess is accumulated from many different ways. One of these ways is one’s connection with Unseen which is also done in many forms and can differ depending on the individual’s emotional, spiritual and mental capacity and can increase or decrease depending on his connection with the source ...
  • How are prayers whose time has passed to be recited; with a loud or silent voice?
    1014 Laws and Jurisprudence 2009/07/19
    Prayers whose times have passed, making them qadha, must be recited the same way they would be recited if they were ada and prayed on time. For instance, if one misses the fajr (morning) prayer and wants to make it up later during the day, he has to pray it ...
  • What is the Islamic law concerning marriage between a Sayed and a non-Sayed?
    2108 History of Fiqh 2010/11/28
    There is no problem in the marriage between Sayed girls or women with non-Sayed Shiite men as it is not necessary for Sayed girls and women to marry Sayed men[1]. None of the jurists have forbidden such a marriage.For instance, Grand Ayatollah Saafi Gulpaigani says in this regard as such:“No, ...
  • What is the story of Salih’s she-camel in the Quran and the controversy that exists surrounding its death?
    2935 Exegesis 2012/09/13
    One of the methods used by the Quran through its verses is the use of ijmal and tafsil (brevity and detail). There are three verses among the verses concerning the event of the death of Salih’s she-camel. The verses attribute the killing to the entire Samood tribe. There is another ...
  • What does Islam say about Prophet Isa (pbuh) walking on water?
    2816 Traditional 2009/07/19
    One of the ways for identifying prophets is through miracles; extraordinary actions that can't be taught or learned by normal people that others aren't capable of doing.[1]Prophet Isa (pbuh) had several miracles, namely: awakening the dead, curing those born blind and curing the sick. The Quran says: “…and when You ...

Popular

Links