Advanced search
Visit
1600
Last Updated: 2011/05/08
Summary of question
One who has repeatedly repented and broken his repentance and now doubts frequently about Allah and the imams, has Allah forsaken such a person? What is the way to gain proximity to Allah?
question
I fell in love with a boy at the age of 16 but wasn’t aware of his intentions and unintentionally and out of forgetfulness of Allah and because of my affection for him, committed a great sin with him, but after a while, he got married and left me with my problems. From that day forward, I took refuge in Allah and my faith in Him grew day by day, but I would sometimes remember the sin I had committed and would masturbate, but my fear of Allah would cause me to repent. I have violated my repentance many times. Recently, I have faced a certain problem; whenever I am busy in worship, Shaytan comes to me and causes me to doubt in everything (God’s existence, the Quran’s truthfulness, the imams) although I know such doubts are false. Can it be that Allah has forsaken me? I love Allah.
Concise answer

Sin and disobedience brings about one’s destruction, while repentance and a resolution to refrain from sin is movement towards salvation. Shaytan is man's enemy and all of his efforts go into creating temptations and suggestions in human beings, and creating a distance between them and God, who is most merciful and kind. He attempts to create this distance by pushing them to drown in a sea of sins and crimes against God, which causes their separation. This is while God loves all of his servants, including those who are sinners and oppressors; in addition, he wishes that they reach felicity and happiness. Also, since in private you feel ashamed and embarrassed in front of God from your sins, this shows that you have a pure nature and that God has favored you with his grace. Since you are after a way for making up for your sins and past mistakes, this is an indication that God has entered these thoughts into your mind, so that you will, through these means, save yourself (with the aid of God) from these evils and sicknesses. Therefore, keep in mind this great blessing of God, and before losing the opportunity, purify yourself of these sins and the consequences of these sins by truly repenting to God. Know that God is your helper and friend in this matter and is always with you; in addition, he will never leave you alone.

Detailed Answer

Sins are much akin to a dirty swamp; the more an individual immerses themselves in it, the more polluted they become and the closer they get to destruction and annihilation. On the other hand, repentance and making a serious decision to abstain from sins is itself salvation and a great victory, which opens the doors to the mercy of God. An individual who reaches this stage (of repentance) has gained a great victory and he must do his utmost to strengthen further his intentions and inclinations towards fighting against sins. In addition, he must attempt to keep himself in this state perpetually.

One point of dire importance, is the special favor and grace which God bestows upon someone who repents; repentance destroys and effaces all of the sins and negative consequences of sins before God. God has mentioned in the Holy Quran that: (قُلْ یَـٰعِبَادِىَ ٱلَّذِینَ أَسْرَفُوا۟ عَلَىٰٓ أَنفُسِهِمْ لَا تَقْنَطُوا۟ مِن رَّحْمَةِ ٱللَّهِ إِنَّ ٱللَّهَ یَغْفِرُ ٱلذُّنُوبَ جَمِیعًا إِنَّهُۥ هُوَ ٱلْغَفُورُ ٱلرَّحِیمُ), which means ‘Say: "O my Servants who have transgressed against their souls! Despair not of the Mercy of Allah: for Allah forgives all sins: for He is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful. [1]   [2]

Know that the doubts coming into your heart are, without a doubt, from Shaytan who is seriously after separating you from the all-kind Allah. In order to be able to stand up to his suggestions, you need to remember that he is an evil being who is man’s enemy and has sworn to misguide and deviate Allah’s servants. [3] All of his efforts go into creating temptations and suggestions in human beings, and creating a distance between them and God, who is most merciful and kind. He attempts to create this distance by pushing them to drown in a sea of sins and crimes against God, which causes their separation. This is while God loves all of his servants, including those who are sinners and oppressors; in addition, he wishes that they reach felicity and happiness. At the same time he is averse to their unworthy actions, and it is for this very reason that he has sent his most favored servants, who are the Prophets (a), to guide and assist the people of this earth. He has also kept Imam Mahdi (a) alive and hidden throughout all these years for this very purpose, in order that he may guide the select amongst humanity. No one is therefore allowed to become hopeless of the mercy of God, as He Himself says: “O my Servants who have transgressed against their souls! Despair not of the Mercy of Allah: for Allah forgives all sins: for He is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful” [4] . [5] This is because despairing of God’s mercy is considered thinking badly of God and this is counted as one of the greatest of sins.

Therefore, since in private you feel ashamed and embarrassed in front of God from your sins, this shows that you have a pure nature and that God has favored you with his grace. Since you are after a way for making up for your sins and past mistakes, this is an indication that God has entered these thoughts into your mind, so that you will, through these means, save yourself (with the aid of God) from these evils and sicknesses. Therefore, keep in mind this great blessing of God, and before losing the opportunity, purify yourself of these sins and the consequences of these sins by truly repenting to God. Know that God is your helper and friend in this matter and is always with you; in addition, he will never leave you alone.

Having hope in Allah’s mercy and regretting past sins and eventually, true and sincere repentance are an important step towards being loved by Allah and is a smooth road towards guidance and salvation, something that worries Shaytan.

For further information, see:

1- Ways of being purified of sin, Question 11511 (website: 11345).

2- The intensification of punishment for insisting on sin, Question 1612 (website: 1613).

3- Forgiveness of Great Sins, Question 11512 (website: 11351).

4- How long to refrain from sin for immunity, Question 1018 (website: 1076).

5- Ways of gaining God’s affection, Question 5578 (website: 5856).

6- Repentance from Masturbation, Question 2144 (website: 2268).

[1] Zumar:53

[2] Adopted from Question 3192 (website: 3444), Repentance from Sin.

[3] Saad:82 “قالَ فَبِعِزَّتِکَ لَأُغْوِیَنَّهُمْ أَجْمَعینَ”.

[4] Zumar:53 “قُلْ یا عِبادِیَ الَّذینَ أَسْرَفُوا عَلى‏ أَنْفُسِهِمْ لا تَقْنَطُوا مِنْ رَحْمَةِ اللَّهِ إِنَّ اللَّهَ یَغْفِرُ الذُّنُوبَ جَمیعاً إِنَّهُ هُوَ الْغَفُورُ الرَّحیمُ”.

[5] Adopted from Question 2144 (website: 2268), Repentance from Masturbation.

Question translations in other languages
Comments
Please enter the value
Example : Yourname@YourDomane.ext
Please enter the value
Please enter the value

Categorization by subject

Random questions

• Will God abandon me or love me less if I am bad?
    1243 Practical 2011/09/11
    Although Shaitan is man's sworn enemy and it is making its utmost efforts to lead man towards sins and evil actions and to create a gap between him and God, God loves His servants even the sinners and He wants them to be guided and prosperous. Therefore, no sinner under ...
  • What is meant by this saying of Imam Ali, "Do you suppose that you are only a small body, while the macrocosm is placed within you?"
    673 Contextual study 2014/05/14
    Some mysticism and literary books have ascribed poems to Imam Ali (A.S). For instance, it has been said that Imam Ali (A.S) said: "Do you suppose that you are only a small body, while the macrocosm is placed within you?" Although this poem does not have a chain of transmission, ...
  • How can those who don’t observe the complete hijab study in the Howza?
    1136 Practical 2011/04/20
    Studying in different fields is always valuable and brings about completion for the individual, nevertheless, reaching values and virtues coming from knowledge calls for some preliminary steps and hardships that have to be taken care of and endured respectively first.Entering the Howza is no exception and may bear even greater ...
  • Can something emerge from nothing?
    1240 علیت و معلولیت 2012/12/15
    Based on philosophical and mystical principles, creating something out of nothing means that the universe and the entire divine attributes are, in the level of divine essence, vanished in God’s essence with no name, accident or distinction or any quality existing. The level of God’s essence, before manifestation, is the ...
  • In brief, what are the lessons [that can be taken] from Sūrah Banī Isrā\'īl?
    1326 Exegesis 2013/01/15
    The popular view amongst the commentators is that Sūrah Banī Isrā'īl (Isrā')[1] was revealed in Mecca and is considered a Meccan Sūrah[2]. In summary, the core teachings of Sūrah Banī Isrā'īl are as follows: Proofs for Prophet-hood, especially the miraculous nature of the Quran, and the night journey (mi’raj) of the Prophet ...
  • What is the ruling on shaving the legs for men?
    1623 Laws and Jurisprudence 2010/08/22
    Except for the beard, which is haram to shave (obligatory precaution),[1] not only is it permissible to remove the hairs of the body such as the armpits, but it is mustahabb[2] in Islam, and has been prescribed in many hadiths[3], but isn't wajib either.[1] Tawdihul-Masa’el (annotated by Imam Khomeini), vol. ...
  • What is the story of Salih’s she-camel in the Quran and the controversy that exists surrounding its death?
    2673 Exegesis 2012/09/13
    One of the methods used by the Quran through its verses is the use of ijmal and tafsil (brevity and detail). There are three verses among the verses concerning the event of the death of Salih’s she-camel. The verses attribute the killing to the entire Samood tribe. There is another ...
  • What difference does Wilayah and the system of Wilayah have with a monarchial system?
    1113 Laws and Jurisprudence 2011/09/22
    There exist fundamental differences between a Wilayi system of government and a monarchial system of government. These differences can be broken down into the following summary points:A- In terms of their legitimacy, Wilayi systems derive their authority from God, while monarchial systems derive their authority from the customs of the ...
  • Is the repentance of a person who is committing a sin and is determined to repent later on accepted?
    1215 Practical 2011/04/20
    True repentance has certain conditions that if done with those conditions, it will be accepted by our kind and compassionate Lord. These conditions are as follows: 1- Committing the sin out of ignorance and foolishness 2- Not being aware of death 3- Regretting the sin 4- Deciding not to return ...
  • Can one turn back from repentance?
    1262 Practical 2010/11/21
    This question doesn’t have a brief answer. Please click on the detailed answer. ...

Popular

Links