Advanced search
Visit
3188
Last Updated: 2011/05/08
Summary of question
One who has repeatedly repented and broken his repentance and now doubts frequently about Allah and the imams, has Allah forsaken such a person? What is the way to gain proximity to Allah?
question
I fell in love with a boy at the age of 16 but wasn’t aware of his intentions and unintentionally and out of forgetfulness of Allah and because of my affection for him, committed a great sin with him, but after a while, he got married and left me with my problems. From that day forward, I took refuge in Allah and my faith in Him grew day by day, but I would sometimes remember the sin I had committed and would masturbate, but my fear of Allah would cause me to repent. I have violated my repentance many times. Recently, I have faced a certain problem; whenever I am busy in worship, Shaytan comes to me and causes me to doubt in everything (God’s existence, the Quran’s truthfulness, the imams) although I know such doubts are false. Can it be that Allah has forsaken me? I love Allah.
Concise answer

Sin and disobedience brings about one’s destruction, while repentance and a resolution to refrain from sin is movement towards salvation. Shaytan is man's enemy and all of his efforts go into creating temptations and suggestions in human beings, and creating a distance between them and God, who is most merciful and kind. He attempts to create this distance by pushing them to drown in a sea of sins and crimes against God, which causes their separation. This is while God loves all of his servants, including those who are sinners and oppressors; in addition, he wishes that they reach felicity and happiness. Also, since in private you feel ashamed and embarrassed in front of God from your sins, this shows that you have a pure nature and that God has favored you with his grace. Since you are after a way for making up for your sins and past mistakes, this is an indication that God has entered these thoughts into your mind, so that you will, through these means, save yourself (with the aid of God) from these evils and sicknesses. Therefore, keep in mind this great blessing of God, and before losing the opportunity, purify yourself of these sins and the consequences of these sins by truly repenting to God. Know that God is your helper and friend in this matter and is always with you; in addition, he will never leave you alone.

Detailed Answer

Sins are much akin to a dirty swamp; the more an individual immerses themselves in it, the more polluted they become and the closer they get to destruction and annihilation. On the other hand, repentance and making a serious decision to abstain from sins is itself salvation and a great victory, which opens the doors to the mercy of God. An individual who reaches this stage (of repentance) has gained a great victory and he must do his utmost to strengthen further his intentions and inclinations towards fighting against sins. In addition, he must attempt to keep himself in this state perpetually.

One point of dire importance, is the special favor and grace which God bestows upon someone who repents; repentance destroys and effaces all of the sins and negative consequences of sins before God. God has mentioned in the Holy Quran that: (قُلْ یَـٰعِبَادِىَ ٱلَّذِینَ أَسْرَفُوا۟ عَلَىٰٓ أَنفُسِهِمْ لَا تَقْنَطُوا۟ مِن رَّحْمَةِ ٱللَّهِ إِنَّ ٱللَّهَ یَغْفِرُ ٱلذُّنُوبَ جَمِیعًا إِنَّهُۥ هُوَ ٱلْغَفُورُ ٱلرَّحِیمُ), which means ‘Say: "O my Servants who have transgressed against their souls! Despair not of the Mercy of Allah: for Allah forgives all sins: for He is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful. [1]   [2]

Know that the doubts coming into your heart are, without a doubt, from Shaytan who is seriously after separating you from the all-kind Allah. In order to be able to stand up to his suggestions, you need to remember that he is an evil being who is man’s enemy and has sworn to misguide and deviate Allah’s servants. [3] All of his efforts go into creating temptations and suggestions in human beings, and creating a distance between them and God, who is most merciful and kind. He attempts to create this distance by pushing them to drown in a sea of sins and crimes against God, which causes their separation. This is while God loves all of his servants, including those who are sinners and oppressors; in addition, he wishes that they reach felicity and happiness. At the same time he is averse to their unworthy actions, and it is for this very reason that he has sent his most favored servants, who are the Prophets (a), to guide and assist the people of this earth. He has also kept Imam Mahdi (a) alive and hidden throughout all these years for this very purpose, in order that he may guide the select amongst humanity. No one is therefore allowed to become hopeless of the mercy of God, as He Himself says: “O my Servants who have transgressed against their souls! Despair not of the Mercy of Allah: for Allah forgives all sins: for He is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful” [4] . [5] This is because despairing of God’s mercy is considered thinking badly of God and this is counted as one of the greatest of sins.

Therefore, since in private you feel ashamed and embarrassed in front of God from your sins, this shows that you have a pure nature and that God has favored you with his grace. Since you are after a way for making up for your sins and past mistakes, this is an indication that God has entered these thoughts into your mind, so that you will, through these means, save yourself (with the aid of God) from these evils and sicknesses. Therefore, keep in mind this great blessing of God, and before losing the opportunity, purify yourself of these sins and the consequences of these sins by truly repenting to God. Know that God is your helper and friend in this matter and is always with you; in addition, he will never leave you alone.

Having hope in Allah’s mercy and regretting past sins and eventually, true and sincere repentance are an important step towards being loved by Allah and is a smooth road towards guidance and salvation, something that worries Shaytan.

For further information, see:

1- Ways of being purified of sin, Question 11511 (website: 11345).

2- The intensification of punishment for insisting on sin, Question 1612 (website: 1613).

3- Forgiveness of Great Sins, Question 11512 (website: 11351).

4- How long to refrain from sin for immunity, Question 1018 (website: 1076).

5- Ways of gaining God’s affection, Question 5578 (website: 5856).

6- Repentance from Masturbation, Question 2144 (website: 2268).

[1] Zumar:53

[2] Adopted from Question 3192 (website: 3444), Repentance from Sin.

[3] Saad:82 “قالَ فَبِعِزَّتِکَ لَأُغْوِیَنَّهُمْ أَجْمَعینَ”.

[4] Zumar:53 “قُلْ یا عِبادِیَ الَّذینَ أَسْرَفُوا عَلى‏ أَنْفُسِهِمْ لا تَقْنَطُوا مِنْ رَحْمَةِ اللَّهِ إِنَّ اللَّهَ یَغْفِرُ الذُّنُوبَ جَمیعاً إِنَّهُ هُوَ الْغَفُورُ الرَّحیمُ”.

[5] Adopted from Question 2144 (website: 2268), Repentance from Masturbation.

Question translations in other languages
Comments
Please enter the value
Example : Yourname@YourDomane.ext
Please enter the value
Please enter the value

Thematic Category

Random questions

• What is the philosophy of Islamic modest dress? Why are only women bound in Islam to observe modest dress?
    3587 Philosophy of Religion and Law 2011/12/08
    Men and women are equal in many aspects such as creation from a single essence and enjoying rights to education, freedom, speech, expression, etc.We should also note that men and women are different in their physical and psychological make-up. These differences lead to the creation and enactment of specific ...
  • Is it permissible to use dead fetal bodies (aborted human bodies) for research?
    1466 گوناگون 2014/06/23
    Most jurisprudents and religious authorities do not allow a human body (embryo or born human being) to be dissected. However, some other scholars[1] say in this regard that if a human body is dissected to make medical and scientific discoveries that are needed by ...
  • Why doesn’t Allah (swt) guide the fasiqs (wrongdoers/transgressors)?
    7354 Traditional 2008/11/23
    Guidance can be divided into the following types:1- Existential (takwini) guidance (guidance that has to do with man’s creation), which is the nature embedded in all humans by Allah (swt), causing them to have the tendency to follow tawhid and believe in one God and in other words, ...
  • Is the hadith that says: “All the imams are equal to the prophet (pbuh) in rank.” (Al-Kafi, vol.1, pg.270) an authentic one?
    3780 Traditional 2009/03/14
    Although the fourteen infallibles are all at the pinnacle of perfection and spiritual completion, yet the holy prophet (pbuh) of Islam is the highest of them all, possessing advantages and characteristics that no other infallible shares with him, as Imam Sadiq (as) says in the same hadith you ...
  • Please explain the features the Quran mentions for an Imam.
    4826 Traditional 2012/01/17
    There are two types of Imamate (leadership of a society) mentioned in the Quran; First: “The Imams of light” who are the pious and righteous leaders and second: “The Imams of fire” who are the heads of Kufr (disbelief) and deviation. Many features have been mentioned ...
  • What is the Islamic law concerning family marriage?
    2194 Laws and Jurisprudence 2010/11/16
    There is a proverb in Persian which says, “A girl’s marriage with her cousin is made in heaven”. Is it really as such? The answer is that: Who knows about the heaven?  Obviously no one knows about it except God, the Exalted, and the infallible leaders? No matter how much ...
  • How was the Holy Quran compiled?
    6612 Quranic Studies 2012/04/21
    According to the history of the compilation of the Quran, the Prophet (s) himself chose the verses where to be placed. It was not the companions who arranged the verses or the number of the chapters. The Quran, which is presently in our hands and which is ...
  • What happened to Imam Hussein's horse in Karbala?
    4593 تاريخ بزرگان 2010/02/20
    The writers of books on what happened on Ashura (these books are referred to as ‘maqatil’) have not mentioned much about what happened to Dhuljanah. What is mentioned is that he made his mane bloody with the blood of the Imam and returned to the tents neighing very ...
  • What are the conditions that guarantee the fulfilment of a prayer?
    3988 Practical 2011/08/15
    The word du’a (supplication) literally means “to call”, “to request a favour”, “to seek help” and in some cases it is used to denote the general meaning of calling. But in its [popular and] technical sense, it refers to the act of making a request from Allah (awj). ...
  • Can one work for an employer whom he knows doesn’t carry out his religious duties?
    2202 Laws and Jurisprudence 2010/09/20
    Since you were after the fiqhi ruling on the issue you asked about, we saw it necessary to enquire Ayatullah Mahdi Hadavi Tehrani; this is his answer:1- If what is being done in the job is halal and the one doing ...

Popular

• Why hasn’t Imam Ali (a.s.) been mentioned in the Holy Quran?
    55811 Exegesis 2008/05/11
    One should be aware that although the imam’s names, )especially Imam Ali’s(, haven’t been mentioned in the Quran, nevertheless, their names, )especially Imam Ali’s(, can be found in the Prophet’s sayings. One very good example is the hadith of Ghadir which is considered the official announcement of the appointment of ...
  • What is the definition of "Muslim" according to the Quran?
    55741 Exegesis 2010/04/06
    According to the Quran a Muslim is one who has absolutely surrendered to Allah and his commands and believes in pure Tawhid (the oneness of God) that isn't tainted with any Shirk and this is why the Almighty has introduced Prophet Abraham as a true ...
  • Why are shrimps halal and crabs haram? What makes one of them halal and the other halal despite the fact that both of them are from the same category?
    50558 Philosophy of Religion and Law 2012/03/18
    Although all Islamic laws are a result of the benefits or disadvantages and harms that back them, and there is a particular reason behind each and every one of them, discovering the exact reason in detail for every one of them is extremely difficult. The most we ...
  • Is lobster, clam, oyster and octopus halal?
    39704 Laws and Jurisprudence 2012/02/18
    Eating lobster, clam, oyster and octopus is haram. According to religious resources regarding halal and haram meat, there are general rulings and numerous standards; for instance, a set of rulings has been given for land animals, sea creatures, birds and so on.The condition for halal meat sea ...
  • What is meant by Sidratul-Muntaha that the Quran has mentioned?
    35841 Exegesis 2010/04/07
    This question doesn’t have a brief answer. Please click on the detailed answer. ...
  • How do you prove that Imam Ali (as) was imam and khalifa after the Prophet (pbuh)?
    34033 Traditional 2008/07/21
    There is no doubt that in order for Islam to survive, it needs a keeper and guardian and individuals to deliver and express the teachings and guidelines of religion for the people, and carry them out. Since one of the reasons of creation is the ...
  • What is Shirk?
    24772 Traditional 2007/01/21
    Literally, shirk means to allocate; technically, in Quranic terminology, shirk – in contrast to hanif – signifies the process of allocating someone/thing as the Almighty Allah’s partner or equal. Hanif means being inclined towards righteousness and moderation; hence, the term has been coined onto those who have disassociated themselves from ...
  • What are the rewards and benefits of wearing rings with valuable stones on them?
    24526 Laws and Jurisprudence 2008/08/20
    Wearing a ring of aghigh, firoozah, yaqut and…is permissible for men and according to hadiths, wearing them has thawab and rewards, and wearing them in prayer causes one’s prayers to be of higher virtue and of more rewards, given that the ring isn’t made of gold (for men ...
  • Who are the Ahlul-Bayt?
    23183 Traditional 2007/05/24
    The Prophet of Islam’s (s) Ahlul-Bayt are the same as the people of the cloak: Prophet Muhammad (s), ‘Alī, Fātimah, Hassan, and Hussayn (a). The proof for this is numerous traditions narrated by Shia and Sunni scholars. These traditions are found in more than seventy famous Sunni and Shia sources.
  • Why do we the Shia pray at three times while the Quran tells us to pray at five times?
    22174 Laws and Jurisprudence 2010/08/14
    The reason the Shia perform their prayers in three times is the Quranic verses and traditions on the matter. Although the Quran has mentioned that prayer is wajib several times and hasn’t gone into the details, it has spoken of its times: “Maintain the prayer from the sun's ...

Links