Advanced search
Visit
1971
Last Updated: 2015/01/18
Summary of question
My mother is an educated woman who is providing her children with their needs. My father is not providing us with anything for the past 15 years yet he is telling me not to go to work without his permission. Is it right according Islamic law?
question
My mother is an educated woman who is providing her children with their needs. My father is not providing us with anything for the past 15 years; we cannot ask him for anything because he starts picking feud and says that he has nothing to give. I am a girl and I have two brothers with me. All of us are studying at the BA level. My father is pessimist and skeptic. He never behaves well. He says that I as his daughter cannot leave home for work without his permission. If we leave home without his permission, he finds an excuse to hurt us. Since I know my father well, I try to respect him and I leave home only twice a week for recreation. I am 25 years old. I want you to guide me how to behave with my father. What are my rights? Can I go to work without my father\'s permission? Can I work to support my mother?
Concise answer
It is obligatory on a child to consider two things in respect of his parents:
First, he should be kind towards them by paying for their needs and necessities to the extent of their status. This should be done as and when it is necessary or when he is asked to do so. To refrain from providing them with the needs and necessities is tantamount to violating their trust, breaking their trust and crushing their hope.
Second, he should behave with them in a polite and respectful manner. He should not hurt them with his words and actions even though they may have treated him badly. It has been mentioned in a revayat (tradition) that "if they beat you,  do not be aggressive to them; instead say: غفرالله لکما  'May Allah forgive you.'.[1]
When it comes to hurting the parents, they may get hurt in two ways:
1. The parents get hurt due to their feeling of sympathy and parenthood sentiments for their child. Therefore, it is haram for a child to do an action that would hurt them, even thought they may not have forbidden him from doing so.
2. They may get hurt because of their own bad habits such as when they are not wishful and benevolent to their child in matters related to the child's interest in this world and in the hereafter. (For example, the parents' selfish behavior does not allow them to think of their child's best interest). In this case, their getting hurt has no effect and it is not necessary for the child to surrender himself to his parents. It is therefore clear that obeying parents' orders that concern the parents themselves is not obligatory by itself.  God knows best!
It is permissible for a child to discuss with his parents or debate about matters to make them understand his point but he must be calm and polite while speaking to them. So he must not gaze at them; he must not raise his voice and must not use words that would offend them.[2]
Index:
The above question has been forwarded to the offices of the grand religious authorities and the answers which they have given are as follows:[3]
Grand Ayatollah Makarem Shirazi (may Allah grant him long life):
Father's permission is not required for such matters but you should try, God willing, to get their consent somehow.
Grand Ayatollah Saafi Gulpaigani (may Allah grant him long life):
We appreciate your mindfulness and attention about respecting your parents' rights as well as observing Shari'ah laws. Given the supposition made in your message, if your father does not consent to you working out of home, you must obey him and your father is also under the obligation, as per the Islamic law, to provide you with your needs and necessities as far as he can. Keep respecting your parents and avoid hurting them. God willing, your problems will be solved with trust in Allah and by consigning your matters to Him.

[1] Kulayni, Muhammad bin Yaqub Kulayni, Al-Kafi, researched and edited by Ghaffari, Ali Akbar, Akhundi, Muhammad, vol.2, p.158, Dar al-Kotob al-Islamiyah, Tehran, fourth edition, 1407 A.H.
[2] Answer by the office of Grand Ayatollah Sayyid Ali Husseini Sistani (may Allah grant him long life) to a question forwarded by IslamQuest website. 
[3] Question sent by IslamQuest website to the offices of grand Ayatollah Makarem Shirazi and Ayatollah Saafi Gulpaigani (may Allah grant them long life).
Question translations in other languages
Comments
Please enter the value
Example : Yourname@YourDomane.ext
Please enter the value
Please enter the value

Thematic Category

Random questions

Popular

• Why are shrimps halal and crabs haram? What makes one of them halal and the other halal despite the fact that both of them are from the same category?
    67393 Philosophy of Religion and Law 2012/03/18
    Although all Islamic laws are a result of the benefits or disadvantages and harms that back them, and there is a particular reason behind each and every one of them, discovering the exact reason in detail for every one of them is extremely difficult. The most we ...
  • What is the definition of "Muslim" according to the Quran?
    61334 Exegesis 2010/04/06
    According to the Quran a Muslim is one who has absolutely surrendered to Allah and his commands and believes in pure Tawhid (the oneness of God) that isn't tainted with any Shirk and this is why the Almighty has introduced Prophet Abraham as a true ...
  • Why hasn’t Imam Ali (a.s.) been mentioned in the Holy Quran?
    59784 Exegesis 2008/05/11
    One should be aware that although the imam’s names, )especially Imam Ali’s(, haven’t been mentioned in the Quran, nevertheless, their names, )especially Imam Ali’s(, can be found in the Prophet’s sayings. One very good example is the hadith of Ghadir which is considered the official announcement of the appointment of ...
  • Is lobster, clam, oyster and octopus halal?
    58033 Laws and Jurisprudence 2012/02/18
    Eating lobster, clam, oyster and octopus is haram. According to religious resources regarding halal and haram meat, there are general rulings and numerous standards; for instance, a set of rulings has been given for land animals, sea creatures, birds and so on.The condition for halal meat sea ...
  • What is meant by Sidratul-Muntaha that the Quran has mentioned?
    46101 Exegesis 2010/04/07
    This question doesn’t have a brief answer. Please click on the detailed answer. ...
  • How do you prove that Imam Ali (as) was imam and khalifa after the Prophet (pbuh)?
    36533 Traditional 2008/07/21
    There is no doubt that in order for Islam to survive, it needs a keeper and guardian and individuals to deliver and express the teachings and guidelines of religion for the people, and carry them out. Since one of the reasons of creation is the ...
  • Why do we the Shia pray at three times while the Quran tells us to pray at five times?
    32205 Laws and Jurisprudence 2010/08/14
    The reason the Shia perform their prayers in three times is the Quranic verses and traditions on the matter. Although the Quran has mentioned that prayer is wajib several times and hasn’t gone into the details, it has spoken of its times: “Maintain the prayer from the sun's ...
  • Which animals and insects have been named in the Quran?
    30617 Exegesis 2009/12/16
    Approximately 35 animals have been named in the Quran; the birds and insects of which are:Salwa (سلوی)=The quail (Baqarah:57), Ba’uth (بعوض)=Mosquito (Baqarah:26), Dhubab (ذباب)=Fly (Hajj:73), Nahl (نحل)=Honeybee (Nahl:68), Ankabut (عنکبوت)=Spider (Ankabut:41), Jarad (جراد)=Grasshopper (A’raf:133), HudHud (هدهد)=Hoopoe (Naml:20), Ghurab (غراب)=Crow (Ma’idah:31), Ababil (ابابیل)= probably ‘Swallow’ (Fil:3), Naml (نمل)=Ant ...
  • What are the rewards and benefits of wearing rings with valuable stones on them?
    30195 Laws and Jurisprudence 2008/08/20
    Wearing a ring of aghigh, firoozah, yaqut and…is permissible for men and according to hadiths, wearing them has thawab and rewards, and wearing them in prayer causes one’s prayers to be of higher virtue and of more rewards, given that the ring isn’t made of gold (for men ...
  • What is the Maqam Ibrahim? What is its purpose?
    28650 Traditional 2010/02/14
    One of the clear signs in Makkah (as a verse in the Quran tells us) is the Maqam Ibrahim where Prophet Ibrahim stood.Regarding the meaning and interpretation of “Maqam Ibrahim”, some believe that it is equal to all of Hajj. Others ...

Links