Advanced search
Visit
1098
Last Updated: 2015/04/03
Summary of question
Are we allowed to offer Tarawih prayer under Taqiyya?
question
Considering that I live in a Sunni (Shafi\'I madhhab) region and they have requested me to lead Tarawih prayer in congregation, as a Shia, am I allowed to do it even in the state of Taqiyya?
Concise answer
According to the Holy Quran, ahadith and Shia and Sunni, Taqiyyah is rational and one of the ways by which we can keep our religion safe. The Holy Quran has approved Ammar Yaser’ taqiyya that he used it against unbelievers. The Quran also cited the Taqiyyah of the believers of Ale Pharaoh with majesty. Because, if they showed their faith they would be definitely killed and then they couldn’t complete their mission. Imam Sadiq (as) has said: Taqiyya is my tradition and my fathers’ tradition. Those who have no taqiyya have no religion. Taqiyya is Allah’s strong shield in the land.[1]
Taqiyya is divided into two divisions: Wajib (obligatory) and Haram[2]. Wajib is when you think you would be killed or lose your property in case of leaving taqiyya. Haram:  if one is being compelled to kill a person the one doesn’t have to do taqiyya, according to traditions.[3]
Also, the benefits which are behind leaving taqiyya is sometimes much stronger than the harm caused by not doing it. For instance, if a scholar who has a dignified place in society drinks wine under taqiyya his action would encourage people to do so and probably create doubt in the principle of religion.[4]
Therefore, if leaving tarawih prayer in congregation threatening a persons, other Shias or hisher relatives’ life or property the one is allowed to offer it. Otherwise, if there is a little or negligible harm in leaving taqiyya one is not allowed to do taqiyya in this situation.[5]
The grand maraja’ answer regarding this question is as follows:
The office of Grand Ayatollah Khamenei (May Allah grant him long life):
It is not permissible.
The office of Grand Ayatollah Sistani (May Allah grant him long life):
It is not permissible, unless there is no possibility to avoid taqiyya.
The office of Grand Ayatollah Makarem Shirazi (May Allah grant him long life):
There is no problem in it under Taqiyya.
An answer given to the question by Ayatollah Mahdi Hadavi Tehrani (May Allah grant him long life) is as follows:
If rejecting the request is contrary to Taqiyya you would be allowed to accept it, but you should make intention of doing mustahab prayer not tarawih prayer instead.

[1] . Adopted from answer 3022 (Website: 4099).
[2] . Meshkini, Mirza Ali, Mostalihat al-Fiqh, Pg. 160.
[3] . Kuleini, Kafi, Vol. 2, Pg. 220.
[4] . Mostalihat al-Fiqh, Pg. 160.
[5] . Eshtihardi, Sheikh Ali Panah, Madarek al-Urwat, Vol. 4, Pg. 265.
Question translations in other languages
Comments
Please enter the value
Example : Yourname@YourDomane.ext
Please enter the value
Please enter the value

Thematic Category

Random questions

• Is lobster, clam, oyster and octopus halal?
    67600 Laws and Jurisprudence 2012/02/18
    Eating lobster, clam, oyster and octopus is haram. According to religious resources regarding halal and haram meat, there are general rulings and numerous standards; for instance, a set of rulings has been given for land animals, sea creatures, birds and so on.The condition for halal meat sea ...
  • Which animals and insects have been named in the Quran?
    35503 Exegesis 2009/12/16
    Approximately 35 animals have been named in the Quran; the birds and insects of which are:Salwa (سلوی)=The quail (Baqarah:57), Ba’uth (بعوض)=Mosquito (Baqarah:26), Dhubab (ذباب)=Fly (Hajj:73), Nahl (نحل)=Honeybee (Nahl:68), Ankabut (عنکبوت)=Spider (Ankabut:41), Jarad (جراد)=Grasshopper (A’raf:133), HudHud (هدهد)=Hoopoe (Naml:20), Ghurab (غراب)=Crow (Ma’idah:31), Ababil (ابابیل)= probably ‘Swallow’ (Fil:3), Naml (نمل)=Ant ...
  • How can girls wear bright (gaudy) dresses on the one hand and go out in public without displaying their beauty on the other?
    4418 بیشتر بدانیم 2012/08/11
    According to the Quran, man is a creature that has a divine fitra [God-gifted nature] on the one hand and a material nature on the other. Not differentiating between them will cause a person to be distanced from the reality. Observance of hijab (modest dress) and surrendering ...
  • What was the first fruit eaten by Adam on earth?
    10876 پیامبران و کتابهای آسمانی 2014/09/23
    The story of Adam and Eve residing in Paradise and their expulsion from there occurs in the Holy Quran. For information about this topic, read the following answers on our website: "The Sin of Adam and Eve", question 203. "Angels Prostrating Themselves before Adam as Narrated in ...
  • Why is the blood money of a woman half of that of a man?
    2944 Laws and Jurisprudence 2011/08/15
    According to jurisprudential and historical studies, blood money is an economical matter. It has been legislated in order to compensate for the loss incurred by the injured. From another point of view, in an ideal society, which Islam attempts to create, most of the economic activity is ...
  • What is Musharakah?
    3115 Laws and Jurisprudence 2009/07/19
    In Islamic fiqh, the term musharakah is used for two meanings:1- For two or more people to have a joint ownership regarding anything that can be owned (let it be wealth, assets or even a right). One of the binding rulings regarding this type of ownership ...
  • Can something emerge from nothing?
    3119 پاسخ به شبهات 2012/12/15
    Based on philosophical and mystical principles, creating something out of nothing means that the universe and the entire divine attributes are, in the level of divine essence, vanished in God’s essence with no name, accident or distinction or any quality existing. The level of God’s essence, before ...
  • I needed some information on the Ithna’Ashari sect in West Africa.
    2945 Modern 2008/06/17
    We apologize for the delay in responding to you. Information like that which you are looking for can only be found in specific centers, and although our researchers tried their best, they weren’t able to get the desired results for your request. At the same time, we will introduce some ...
  • Is it forbidden to use vanilla extract?
    9038 Laws and Jurisprudence 2011/06/21
    Office of Grand Ayatollah Khamenei (may Allah grant him long life):If the alcohol is not intoxicating and it is not in a liquid form either, it is halal.Office of Grand Ayatollah ...
  • What is the ruling in making purchases with Parsian Bank credit cards and redeeming their credit in exchange for cash?
    3099 Laws and Jurisprudence 2009/12/28
    We submitted your question to the office of Ayatollah Khamenei and received the following response:It is permissible to withdraw money from an account that actually has money in it. However, an amount given to you through means of credit – without having the base sum present in ...

Popular

Links