Advanced search
Visit
521
Last Updated: 2017/01/25
Summary of question
Is the saying authentic that, "Satans are chained during the Holy Month of Ramadan”?
question
Concise answer
In some authentic traditional sources like Al-Kafi and Tahzib, a tradition has been mentioned regarding the blessings of the Holy Month of Ramadan from the Holy Prophet (PBUH) as follows, “When the Holy Month of Ramadan enters, the outcast Satans are chained."

Detailed Answer
In some authentic traditional sources like Al-Kafi and Tahzib, there has been mentioned a tradition regarding the blessings of the Holy Month of Ramadan from the Holy Prophet (PBUH) as follows, “When the Holy month of Ramadan enters, the outcast Satans are chained."  This tradition has been narrated by Imam Baqir (AS) by his grandfather.  The Arabic version of the hadith is as follows:

«أَحْمَدُ بْنُ مُحَمَّدٍ عَنِ الْحُسَیْنِ بْنِ سَعِیدٍ عَنِ الْحُسَیْنِ بْنِ عُلْوَانَ عَنْ عَمْرِو بْن‏ شِمْرٍ عَنْ جَابِرٍ عَنْ أَبِی جَعْفَرٍ (ع) قَالَ کَانَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ ص یُقْبِلُ بِوَجْهِهِ إِلَى النَّاسِ فَیَقُولُ یَا مَعْشَرَ النَّاسِ إِذَا طَلَعَ هِلَالُ شَهْرِ رَمَضَانَ غُلَّتْ مَرَدَةُ الشَّیَاطِینِ وَ فُتِحَتْ أَبْوَابُ السَّمَاءِ وَ أَبْوَابُ الْجِنَانِ وَ أَبْوَابُ الرَّحْمَةِ وَ غُلِّقَتْ أَبْوَابُ النَّارِ وَ اسْتُجِیبَ الدُّعَاءُ وَ کَانَ لِلَّهِ فِیهِ عِنْدَ کُلِّ فِطْرٍ عُتَقَاءُ یُعْتِقُهُمُ اللَّهُ مِنَ النَّارِ وَ یُنَادِی مُنَادٍ کُلَّ لَیْلَةٍ هَلْ مِنْ سَائِلٍ هَلْ مِنْ مُسْتَغْفِرٍ اللَّهُمَّ أَعْطِ کُلَّ مُنْفِقٍ خَلَفاً وَ أَعْطِ کُلَّ مُمْسِکٍ تَلَفاً...»[1]

When the Holy Prophet (PBUH) sighted the moon, he stood in the direction of the Qiblah and said:

"«اللهم اهله علینا بالامن و الایمان و السلامة و الاسلام و العافیة المجللة و الرزق الواسع و دفع الاسقام و تلاوة القرآن و العون على الصلاة و الصیام اللهم سلمنا لشهر رمضان و سلمه لنا و تسلمه منا حتى ینقضى شهر رمضان و قد غفرت لنا"

"O Allah, let this moon (month) pass over us with blessings, Iman (faith), safety, obedience, complete health, abundant sustenance, removing illnesses, reciting the Holy Qur”an, offering prayers and fasting.   O Allah, keep us healthy for the Holy Month of Ramadan and keep it healthy for us as well, accept our fasting and forgive our sins when the month is finished.”

The Prophet (PUBH) faced toward the people and said, "O Muslims!  When the Holy Month of Ramadan enters, the accursed Satans are chained, the doors of heaven, sky and blessings are opened and the doors of the hell are closed.  Every wish will come true and Allah, save those people who fast from hell at the time of Iftar (breaking a fast), and a harbinger call every night:  Is there any volunteer?  Is there anyone who wants to be forgiven?  O Allah!  Grant each donator reward, but each miser corruption."

Therefore, one of the blessings of the Holy Month of Ramadan is that the Satans who always try to mislead us, are chained in this month.

It doesn’t mean that he is unable to mislead us at all.  Perhaps, the reason behind the saying of the Holy Prophet (PBUH) is that the Satans ability of misleading us, is just limited during the Holy Month of Ramadan not they can never do any evil things, instead.  It is likely that one who is in jail, but able to establish his communication through different ways, even by pointing others. The Satans are trying to mislead us go astray by every ability they have such as Beautification of ugly deeds, False promises, Fear and etc. Therefore, they never neglected in carrying out their duties of misleading us go astray, even if they are chained during the Holy Month of Ramadan.

It should be noted that it doesn’t mean that satan is completely responsible for our sins.  There are so many sins human beings commit by themselves.  As we know, the satan doesn’t force human beings to obey him.  In the Holy Qur”an, the satan has said, “I had no authority over you, except that I called you and you responded to me.[2]”  The human can accept and obey the Holy Prophets’ (PBUTH) invitations.

Therefore, the saying of the Holy Prophet (PBUH) doesn’t mean we never commit any sin by thinking the satan is chained in the Holy Month of Ramadan!  Thus, if we commit sin, can you answer this question: “What does it mean by Satan is chained in this month?

For further information in this regards, please refer to the following answers:
Index: Satan influence our thoughts, answer 15805.

[1] . Kulayni, Kafi, Vol. 4, Pg. 67, Darel Kutobel Islamiyah, Tehran 1986.
[2] . “When the matter is all over, Satan will say," Indeed Allah made you a promise that was true and I [too] made you a promise, but I failed you. I had no authority over you, except that I called you and you responded to me. So do not blame me, but blame yourselves. I cannot respond to your distress calls, neither can you respond to my distress calls. Indeed I disavow your taking me for] Allah”s [partner aforetime. There is indeed a painful punishment for the wrongdoers."” Surah Ibrahim, verse 22.
Question translations in other languages
Comments
Please enter the value
Example : Yourname@YourDomane.ext
Please enter the value
Please enter the value

Thematic Category

Random questions

Popular

• Why are shrimps halal and crabs haram? What makes one of them halal and the other halal despite the fact that both of them are from the same category?
    65811 Philosophy of Religion and Law 2012/03/18
    Although all Islamic laws are a result of the benefits or disadvantages and harms that back them, and there is a particular reason behind each and every one of them, discovering the exact reason in detail for every one of them is extremely difficult. The most we ...
  • What is the definition of "Muslim" according to the Quran?
    60661 Exegesis 2010/04/06
    According to the Quran a Muslim is one who has absolutely surrendered to Allah and his commands and believes in pure Tawhid (the oneness of God) that isn't tainted with any Shirk and this is why the Almighty has introduced Prophet Abraham as a true ...
  • Why hasn’t Imam Ali (a.s.) been mentioned in the Holy Quran?
    59277 Exegesis 2008/05/11
    One should be aware that although the imam’s names, )especially Imam Ali’s(, haven’t been mentioned in the Quran, nevertheless, their names, )especially Imam Ali’s(, can be found in the Prophet’s sayings. One very good example is the hadith of Ghadir which is considered the official announcement of the appointment of ...
  • Is lobster, clam, oyster and octopus halal?
    54693 Laws and Jurisprudence 2012/02/18
    Eating lobster, clam, oyster and octopus is haram. According to religious resources regarding halal and haram meat, there are general rulings and numerous standards; for instance, a set of rulings has been given for land animals, sea creatures, birds and so on.The condition for halal meat sea ...
  • What is meant by Sidratul-Muntaha that the Quran has mentioned?
    44524 Exegesis 2010/04/07
    This question doesn’t have a brief answer. Please click on the detailed answer. ...
  • How do you prove that Imam Ali (as) was imam and khalifa after the Prophet (pbuh)?
    36082 Traditional 2008/07/21
    There is no doubt that in order for Islam to survive, it needs a keeper and guardian and individuals to deliver and express the teachings and guidelines of religion for the people, and carry them out. Since one of the reasons of creation is the ...
  • Why do we the Shia pray at three times while the Quran tells us to pray at five times?
    31183 Laws and Jurisprudence 2010/08/14
    The reason the Shia perform their prayers in three times is the Quranic verses and traditions on the matter. Although the Quran has mentioned that prayer is wajib several times and hasn’t gone into the details, it has spoken of its times: “Maintain the prayer from the sun's ...
  • What are the rewards and benefits of wearing rings with valuable stones on them?
    29454 Laws and Jurisprudence 2008/08/20
    Wearing a ring of aghigh, firoozah, yaqut and…is permissible for men and according to hadiths, wearing them has thawab and rewards, and wearing them in prayer causes one’s prayers to be of higher virtue and of more rewards, given that the ring isn’t made of gold (for men ...
  • Which animals and insects have been named in the Quran?
    29021 Exegesis 2009/12/16
    Approximately 35 animals have been named in the Quran; the birds and insects of which are:Salwa (سلوی)=The quail (Baqarah:57), Ba’uth (بعوض)=Mosquito (Baqarah:26), Dhubab (ذباب)=Fly (Hajj:73), Nahl (نحل)=Honeybee (Nahl:68), Ankabut (عنکبوت)=Spider (Ankabut:41), Jarad (جراد)=Grasshopper (A’raf:133), HudHud (هدهد)=Hoopoe (Naml:20), Ghurab (غراب)=Crow (Ma’idah:31), Ababil (ابابیل)= probably ‘Swallow’ (Fil:3), Naml (نمل)=Ant ...
  • What is the Maqam Ibrahim? What is its purpose?
    27961 Traditional 2010/02/14
    One of the clear signs in Makkah (as a verse in the Quran tells us) is the Maqam Ibrahim where Prophet Ibrahim stood.Regarding the meaning and interpretation of “Maqam Ibrahim”, some believe that it is equal to all of Hajj. Others ...

Links