Advanced search
Visit
1112
Last Updated: 2017/01/25
Summary of question
Is the saying authentic that, "Satans are chained during the Holy Month of Ramadan”?
question
Concise answer
In some authentic traditional sources like Al-Kafi and Tahzib, a tradition has been mentioned regarding the blessings of the Holy Month of Ramadan from the Holy Prophet (PBUH) as follows, “When the Holy Month of Ramadan enters, the outcast Satans are chained."

Detailed Answer
In some authentic traditional sources like Al-Kafi and Tahzib, there has been mentioned a tradition regarding the blessings of the Holy Month of Ramadan from the Holy Prophet (PBUH) as follows, “When the Holy month of Ramadan enters, the outcast Satans are chained."  This tradition has been narrated by Imam Baqir (AS) by his grandfather.  The Arabic version of the hadith is as follows:

«أَحْمَدُ بْنُ مُحَمَّدٍ عَنِ الْحُسَیْنِ بْنِ سَعِیدٍ عَنِ الْحُسَیْنِ بْنِ عُلْوَانَ عَنْ عَمْرِو بْن‏ شِمْرٍ عَنْ جَابِرٍ عَنْ أَبِی جَعْفَرٍ (ع) قَالَ کَانَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ ص یُقْبِلُ بِوَجْهِهِ إِلَى النَّاسِ فَیَقُولُ یَا مَعْشَرَ النَّاسِ إِذَا طَلَعَ هِلَالُ شَهْرِ رَمَضَانَ غُلَّتْ مَرَدَةُ الشَّیَاطِینِ وَ فُتِحَتْ أَبْوَابُ السَّمَاءِ وَ أَبْوَابُ الْجِنَانِ وَ أَبْوَابُ الرَّحْمَةِ وَ غُلِّقَتْ أَبْوَابُ النَّارِ وَ اسْتُجِیبَ الدُّعَاءُ وَ کَانَ لِلَّهِ فِیهِ عِنْدَ کُلِّ فِطْرٍ عُتَقَاءُ یُعْتِقُهُمُ اللَّهُ مِنَ النَّارِ وَ یُنَادِی مُنَادٍ کُلَّ لَیْلَةٍ هَلْ مِنْ سَائِلٍ هَلْ مِنْ مُسْتَغْفِرٍ اللَّهُمَّ أَعْطِ کُلَّ مُنْفِقٍ خَلَفاً وَ أَعْطِ کُلَّ مُمْسِکٍ تَلَفاً...»[1]

When the Holy Prophet (PBUH) sighted the moon, he stood in the direction of the Qiblah and said:

"«اللهم اهله علینا بالامن و الایمان و السلامة و الاسلام و العافیة المجللة و الرزق الواسع و دفع الاسقام و تلاوة القرآن و العون على الصلاة و الصیام اللهم سلمنا لشهر رمضان و سلمه لنا و تسلمه منا حتى ینقضى شهر رمضان و قد غفرت لنا"

"O Allah, let this moon (month) pass over us with blessings, Iman (faith), safety, obedience, complete health, abundant sustenance, removing illnesses, reciting the Holy Qur”an, offering prayers and fasting.   O Allah, keep us healthy for the Holy Month of Ramadan and keep it healthy for us as well, accept our fasting and forgive our sins when the month is finished.”

The Prophet (PUBH) faced toward the people and said, "O Muslims!  When the Holy Month of Ramadan enters, the accursed Satans are chained, the doors of heaven, sky and blessings are opened and the doors of the hell are closed.  Every wish will come true and Allah, save those people who fast from hell at the time of Iftar (breaking a fast), and a harbinger call every night:  Is there any volunteer?  Is there anyone who wants to be forgiven?  O Allah!  Grant each donator reward, but each miser corruption."

Therefore, one of the blessings of the Holy Month of Ramadan is that the Satans who always try to mislead us, are chained in this month.

It doesn’t mean that he is unable to mislead us at all.  Perhaps, the reason behind the saying of the Holy Prophet (PBUH) is that the Satans ability of misleading us, is just limited during the Holy Month of Ramadan not they can never do any evil things, instead.  It is likely that one who is in jail, but able to establish his communication through different ways, even by pointing others. The Satans are trying to mislead us go astray by every ability they have such as Beautification of ugly deeds, False promises, Fear and etc. Therefore, they never neglected in carrying out their duties of misleading us go astray, even if they are chained during the Holy Month of Ramadan.

It should be noted that it doesn’t mean that satan is completely responsible for our sins.  There are so many sins human beings commit by themselves.  As we know, the satan doesn’t force human beings to obey him.  In the Holy Qur”an, the satan has said, “I had no authority over you, except that I called you and you responded to me.[2]”  The human can accept and obey the Holy Prophets’ (PBUTH) invitations.

Therefore, the saying of the Holy Prophet (PBUH) doesn’t mean we never commit any sin by thinking the satan is chained in the Holy Month of Ramadan!  Thus, if we commit sin, can you answer this question: “What does it mean by Satan is chained in this month?

For further information in this regards, please refer to the following answers:
Index: Satan influence our thoughts, answer 15805.

[1] . Kulayni, Kafi, Vol. 4, Pg. 67, Darel Kutobel Islamiyah, Tehran 1986.
[2] . “When the matter is all over, Satan will say," Indeed Allah made you a promise that was true and I [too] made you a promise, but I failed you. I had no authority over you, except that I called you and you responded to me. So do not blame me, but blame yourselves. I cannot respond to your distress calls, neither can you respond to my distress calls. Indeed I disavow your taking me for] Allah”s [partner aforetime. There is indeed a painful punishment for the wrongdoers."” Surah Ibrahim, verse 22.
Question translations in other languages
Comments
Please enter the value
Example : Yourname@YourDomane.ext
Please enter the value
Please enter the value

Thematic Category

Random questions

• What is our duty during the time of Imam Mahdi’s occultation?
    4183 Traditional 2011/12/20
    Our duties during the Imam’s occultation are very much the same duties we have during his presence. One could briefly say that the greatest duty of the Shias during this period is to await Faraj and Imam Mahdi’s government. Awaiting Faraj means to carry out all commands of ...
  • Do you get any sawab (reward) when you listen to a speech on Friday?
    4174 Practical 2012/06/11
     It is necessary for every Muslim to get acquainted with his religious obligations and know about his duty.[1] Therefore, a person will get sawab by listening to a speech that enables him to become familiar with his religious duties and obligations. The Holy ...
  • Where is it permissible to tell a lie?
    4370 Practical 2012/01/30
    Islam lays great emphasis on telling the truth and being truthful and it considers lying to be a wicked act. In many cases, lying has been described as being more evil than drinking wine. In spite of lying being a wicked act, if not telling a lies causes ...
  • Which Imam is the Sayyids' great grandfather?
    2554 Laws and Jurisprudence 2011/02/12
    ثWe need to mention that in order for you to know about someone's ancestors, it is necessary to refer to genealogists as we have no knowledge or specialization in this regard.To give a short and general answer to your question, what is known is that the Razavi Sayyids are ...
  • What is the significance of words in divine revelation?
    3008 Exegesis 2011/10/08
    Everything has four modes of existence: verbal existence, written existence, mental existence and external existence. Revelation also has these four modes of existence: For example, when we speak of the external existence of the Quran we say that this Quran was received with these same words by the Prophet through ...
  • What are the special fadhilat (prime) times of the five daily prayers?
    3732 Laws and Jurisprudence 2011/04/06
    It is recommended that a person should offer the five daily prayers at their respective prescribed times. That is to say, each prayer should be offered at its special time of significance (fadhilat). It is not sufficient to observe as much a gap of ...
  • “When was “hasten his reappearance” added to ‘salawat’ (greetings) and what was the reason behind it?
    797 صلوات بر محمد و آل محمد 2017/01/24
    An inquiry into the traditions reveals that the phrase “hasten his reappearance” or “may Allah hasten their reappearance” was added to salawat in the time of the Holy Prophet (S) and pure Imams (AS). Here are a few reports to mention: 1. In a supplication named “Dua-e ...
  • By whom and how can teyyul-ard be achieved?
    3050 Practical 2010/07/20
    Teyyul-ard denotes the quick transportation from one point to another in an instant. Teyyul-ard is something extraordinary and above normal human power, and is only possible for those who have total control over the chain of causes. The most important issue in this regard is ...
  • Why is card game considered to be "gambling" even if one intends to play it for entertainment and recreation without placing a bet?
    5594 Laws and Jurisprudence 2012/01/04
    Generally speaking, gambling and playing with gambling instruments are haram. The prohibition of card game which is considered to be a means for gambling is also for the same reason. Therefore, playing a game with anything which is considered an instrument of gambling is forbidden. To explain further, there ...
  • What is the duty of those following the prayer, when the Imam makes a mistake?
    3543 Laws and Jurisprudence 2007/01/10
    Assuming the Imam of a congregational salat either doubts the number of units (rak’ahs) recited or recites the salat in error, the ma’mumin (those following the Imam in salat) may inform the Imam in relation to the number of units, or other duty, as long as they are certain. However, ...

Popular

Links